The Outer Banks Is Known For It’s Seafood Restaurants!
North Carolina cuisine and the outer banks’ seafood restaurants is definitely something to write home about. And in the OBX, we take our food seriously. There are some amazing restaurants and cafes through the barrier islands, from traditional beach shacks to high end establishments, where fine dining North Carolina style is a not to be missed experience (see the Colington Cafe article).
Seafood and shellfish are staple ingredients of classic southern coastal cuisine, with many restaurants serving ‘fresh off the dock’ seafood. You can literally taste the ocean in many local dishes. And the natural landscape means you’ll also find delicious farm-to-tables vegetables accompanying most dishes.
Try steaming hot hush puppies, steamed blue crabs, a Hatteras-style clam chowder, or crab cakes, for a real taste of Outer Banks cuisine history.
Here Are Some Seafood Restaurants In Kill Devil Hills, OBX
- Colington Cafe – Rated the number 1 restaurant in the OBX consistently on Trip Advisor. This is an intimate, upscale but affordable spot. This local favorite will have you returning year after year. Enjoy fresh seafood catches combined with a warm and inviting ambiance. The restaurant is in an old Victorian home surrounded by huge hundred-year-old-oak trees and gardens.
- Goombays – This spot is kid-friendly and serves Caribbean-styled dishes as well. A guest favorite includes Tuna Tacos! They also have Gluten Free options!
- Henry’s Restaurant – This family-style restaurant is a favorite. Guest favorites include the Trout and Clam Chowder.
- Awful Arthur’s Oyster Bar – People rave about the raw oysters and hush puppies at Awful Arthur’s. Definitely NOT Awful. 🙂
- Jolly Roger Restaurant & Bar – Another guest favorite. Enjoy Seafood Lasagna here!
- Chilli Peppers Coastal Grill – Guests rave about the Fish Bites and Monkfish at this local grill!
- Mako Mikes Beach Grille & Bar – This one has its very own Octopus Bar! Another great option if you’re looking for Carolina Seafood!
Nag’s Head Outer Banks Seafood Restaurants
- Blue Moon Beach Grill – Rated top 3 on Trip Advisor for Restaurants in the Outer Banks, this one is famous for its Shrimp and Grits. This one’s located in a small strip mall and the only downside is it doesn’t have an ocean view! A great place to try North Carolina Coastal Cuisine! This one’s off mile post 13 not too far from Dragonfly Dunes.
- Miller’s Waterfront Restaurant – Miller’s is also top 3 on Trip Advisor. Hush puppies and Crab Cakes are quite popular here. The restaurant has been around over 30 years. Enjoy a waterfront dining experience at Millers in Nag’s Head.
- Tale of The Whale – Another waterfront treasure. Guests enjoy the fish duo (Salmon and Tuna) with Lemon Dill Sauce… yum!
- Fish Heads Bar & Grill – Eat Shrimp and Clam Bake. This one is another great restaurant overlooking the ocean in Nag’s Head, OBX.
With so many restaurants, you have plenty to eat and experience in the OBX!